You may have noticed that I’m a big fan of local sustainable urban living magazine, Grid. I even write a piece for them now and again. A few weeks ago they celebrated their one-year anniversary with a big party at the new Yards Brewing Company tasting room, a big open bar just off the Spring Garden El stop (on Columbus). Local beer will win me over every time, and it was nice to get my first spring Saison on tap. While Yards has a limited menu, it’s very affordable and includes an rotating grilled cheese section for $3 a pop. Sold. I believe the sandwich above was a whole grain bread with local cheddar, field greens, and of course a pickle. It won’t knock your socks off, but it’s good solid drinking food.
Yards is an awesome company not only because it functions on a closed-loop, eco-friendly system. Other fun facts:
* Pennsylvania’s first 100% wind-powered brewery.
* Current production capacity of 12,000 barrels a year.
* Hot water collected and recycled whenever possible.
* All glass and cardboard recycled through the Pedal Co-Op.
* Grains and dregs donated to local farms as feed.
* Earthen clay walls in the Tasting Room.
* Floors made from recycled concrete and coated in SoyCrete sustainable compound.
You can even pick-up kegs, 6-packs and cases while you’re there! Stop by and pay a favorite local brewer a visit.